Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Protect yourself from brain eating amoebas

NPR Shots blog tells you how to protect yourself from brain eating amoebas

Tags: brain eating amoebas [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to Health | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 23:11
(0)

I shoot you dead.

Level: 9
CS Original
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/08/19/139781956/hold-your-nose-to-avoid-brain-eating-amoebas

Afraid of brain eating amoebas? Plug your nose when you jump into lakes and rivers, or jump in a way that doesn't force water up your nose.
#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 23:15
(1)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original
There was an episode on some cable network called "Monster's Inside Me" that talked about a kid who died from one of these. He apparently got it from wake boarding in a lake. Honestly, it hasn't stopped me from going in lakes and water skiing, but it is pretty crazy that these things are in lake beds. In all reality, these things are really scary, but what are your odds of actually contracting one?

EDIT: 1 in 10 million. I totally missed that the first skim through.
#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 23:29
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

Level: 8
CS Original
@Kaiser

Nasty pathogens of all kinds are all over the place, dude. Don't sweat it. I mean, MRSA is everywhere, including hospitals, but I'm not going to avoid going to a hospital if I needed one, and that's taking into consideration that MRSA is actually an alarmingly common pathogen afflicting hospital patients.
#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 23:40
(1)

I shoot you dead.

Level: 9
CS Original
Have you seen the giant microbe plushies? The MRSA one has a cape because it's a superbug!

On topic: there's bugs everywhere. And a lot of the bugs that live in us can be harmful if they start reproducing out of control.
#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 23:49
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

Level: 8
CS Original
Indeed. You can blame people taking antibiotics irresponsibly for a large portion of that.
#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]